Latvia' Long-Term Visa
If you plan to visit and stay in Latvia on longer period of time (more than 90-days) for studying, investing, working and joining family purposes, then you need to; firstly apply for a Residence Permit from the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) in Latvia and afterward, apply for a Long-Term Schengen Visa from Embassy of Latvia in Beijing (PRC).
As per regulations No. 500 of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia and amendment to Cabinet 2010 of 3 August Regulations No. 725 "Regulations on the Latvian Republic of diplomatic and consular missions territorial jurisdiction to request a visa" annex 2 stated that the issuance of a LONG-TERM VISA (RESIDENCE PERMIT) into Latvia for Indonesia territory has been represented and assigned to be processed and issued by the EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA in the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC of CHINA at Villa 02-02, Section A of Liangmaqiao Diplomatic Residence Compound, No. 22 Dongfang East Street, Chaoyang District, Bejing, 100600, People’s Republic of China - click here for more contact details.
The Embassy of Latvia in Beijing will accept long-term (long-stay) visa applications only from the citizens of Indonesia and those third-country citizens who are staying in Indonesia with residence permits for the purpose of studying, working and joining family in Latvia.
Please note that the EMBASSY of LATVIA in BEIJING is the ONLY office accepting & issuing long-term (long stay & Schengen Type D) visas with duration of more than three months in any six-month period from the date of first entry in the territory of Schengen Member State.
applying RESIDENCE PERMIT
A residence permit is a document providing a foreigner the rights to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a definite period of time (a temporary residence permit) or permanently (a permanent residence permit). A residence permit is necessary if you are willing to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a period of time exceeding 90 days within half a year counting from the first day of entrance.
A residence permit is issued by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) of the Ministry of the Interior of Latvia.
As of 2 April 2012 the residence permit is issued in the format of the identification card, therefore biometrics details must be delivered prior to receipt of the residence permit (fingerprints (starting from the age of six) and digital picture of face).
HOW TO APPLY FOR A RESIDENCE PERMIT
Step 1 – Fill out/print/sign up the Application for requiring a residence permit
Fill out the Application for requiring a residence permit. Upon completion of the application form, print the form and sign it. Application form must be filled out in BLOCK letters. To download the application form click here
If the submitted application form is incomplete or contains false information, your application may be denied.
Step 2 – Collect all required documentation
Carefully check that you have collected all required documentation. For the list of documents please refer to the homepage of OCMA Foreign Service Centre click here
The consular officer may request additional documents upon submission depending on each individual case.
Step 3 – Legalise documents
The documents being issued abroad must be legalized if international agreements do not stipulate otherwise. When submitting copies of documents that are not certified by a notary, originals of such documents must be presented.
Document legalisation requires several steps:
- Translation into English or Latvian;
- Notarisation at the local notary office;
- Legalisation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Legalisation at the Embassy of Latvia.
To legalise document at the Embassy of Latvia in China, fill out the Application for public document legalization, print and sign it. Please complete in legible handwriting in block letters or electronically! Submit the application form/-s and the document/-s to the consular officer, together with your passport and legalization fee – 120 RMB for each document.
For more information on document legalisation, please refer to the homepage of OCMA Foreign Service Centre - click here.
Step 4 – Arrange an interview
Call +86 10 853 230 09 (English/Chinese) and tell us your full name, purpose of your visit, invitation number (if necessary), phone number and most convenient date and time for your visit.
Write an e-mail (English/Latvian) to email@example.com, indicating your full name, purpose of your visit, invitation number (if necessary), phone number and most convenient date and time for your visit. Make sure you have received the conformation email before going to the Embassy for the interview. The reception hours are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:30-11:30.
Step 5 – Submit the application/pay fee for processing the documents
On the interview day, submit your documents to the consular officer and pay fee for processing the documents:
For applicants, who are planning to work in Latvia:
- Within 30 days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 1260 RMB;
- Within 10 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 2310 RMB;
- Within 5 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 3360 RMB.
For applicants, who are planning to study in Latvia or join family member:
- Within 30 days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 1050 RMB;
- Within 10 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 2100 RMB;
- Within 5 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 3150 RMB.
For applicants, who are planning to invest or buy property in Latvia:
- Within 30 days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 1570 RMB;
- Within 10 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 2620 RMB;
- Within 5 working days after the receipt of the documents at OCMA – 3670 RMB.
The fee is non-refundable. The Embassy is not responsible for costs that can be incurred if a residence permit is refused.
Step 6 – Decision is made by Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) of the Ministry of the Interior of Latvia
Documents will be dispatched to Latvia and the residence permit application would be reviewed by OCMA.
Residence permit application processing time starts at the moment the application is received at OCMA in Riga not from the moment the documents have been submitted at the Embassy. Embassy is not providing any translation services!
APPLYING LONG-TERM Visa (NATIONAL VISA)
"D" Type Visa or Long–Stay Visa (National Visa) is an individual single-entry, double-entry or multiple-entry visa enabling a foreign national to enter the Republic of Latvia within the specified period of time, once, two times or an unlimited number of times respectively, stay there for the term indicated in the visa and depart from the country.
Long–stay visa is issued:
- If a foreign national needs to stay in the Republic of Latvia for more than 90 days within a six-month period, counting from the day of entry, and the issuance of a visa: a). complies with international legislation; b). complies with the interests of Latvian state; c). is justified by force majeure;d). is justified by humanitarian considerations
- If a foreign national arrives with the purpose of obtaining a residence permit in the Republic of Latvia on the basis of a decision made by the OCMA to grant a residence permit. In such cases a single-entry long–stay visa with a term of validity of 30 days is issued.
With a long-stay visa, the length of stay in the Republic of Latvia can exceed 90 days within a six-month period, counting from the day of entry. Additionally, the D-type visa entitles the holder to move within the territory of other Schengen states for up to three months within a half-year period. The maximum term of validity of a long-stay visa is one year.
If the decision from OCMA is positive, you can start applying for the 30-day Long Term-D Visa. Fill out and sign Long-stay Visa Application Form - click here
LIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR D-VISA:
- Passport: Passport or other travel document with a period of validity extending at least three months past that of the visa, containing at least two blank pages for affixing visas, and issued within the previous ten years. Copies of the identification pages and the pages that contain information about previously issued visas.
- Visa application form with photo: One signed visa application form with one recently taken colour passport photo (35mm x 45mm) on white background.
- Travel medical insurance policy: Travel medical insurance valid for the whole Schengen area and covering the entire period of the foreigner's intended visit in the Schengen; the minimum coverage of 42,600 EUR, and covering the costs of urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment in case of an illness, as well as repatriation in the event of death. Medical insurance policy can be obtained in applicant’s country of residence, or in any other country, or taken out by the inviting person. It is important that the insurance meets all the above requirements.
- OCMA decision
- Air ticket booking record
- Payment of Visa fee: The visa procedure usually takes 5 working days. We will contact you in case something is missing in your application or if further information is required. When you pick up your visa, please bring your ID card. If you are picking up other visa than yours, together with your ID please submit the letter of authorisation.
obtaining residence permit
After arrival to the Republic of Latvia go personally to Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) of the Ministry of the Interior of Latvia and receive a residence permit. For additional information please refer to the homepage of Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) of the Ministry of the Interior of Latvia.
In case any additional information is required, please contact OCMA Residence Permit Division directly to
OCMA RESIDENCE PERMIT DIVISION - click here
Contact Person: Ms. Vizma Čuda
Telephone: +371 67219644; +371 67219664
Fax: +371 67219654
Address: Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, k-3, LV-1026 (click here for map location)
Information Phone: +371 67219664
Honorary Consulate of the Republic of Latvia | +62 21 2957 5010 / +371 6616 3344 | firstname.lastname@example.org